Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:33:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marwan Fayed <s0121430@cs.laurentian.ca>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disappearing mount points after install

So, as it turns out I have found the answer it seems... a bit of a fluke,
rather. I'll detail in short (if there is such a thing) so others are
aware.

As Thierry (and one other I think) suggested, a DOS partition is required.
Before this was suggested to me I tried dual booting with a small DOS
partition of 2 megs to save as much space as possible. This didn't work.
Well, last night a chain of events forced me to realize that Win95, of
course, uses partitions greater than 2 megs and that I should try using
larger partitions (Thierry uses 20 on his machine).

I first tried it with 5 megs... nothing. Then 10, 16, and still nothing.
Finally when I expanded the DOS partition to 20 megs it worked. I can only
assume this is how IBM manufactured their BIOS. And hey, it's 20 megs lost
but at least it worked.

I'm writing this after doing a dummy install with the minimal option so as
to save time in installing. Let's hope my results aren't a lucky shot in
the dark so that I can now re-install everything properly!

Thanks for everyone's help. btw, who gets dinner!? <chuckle>

Marwan

ps. You all have impressed me so much that I think I will try to find ways
to contribute to the freebsd project (as long as it doesn't interfere with
school, of course <smile>)