Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 98 11:59:31 -0800
From:      lfloyd@harding.com
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bsd install

I had some difficulties installing version 2.2.5 in that the floppy boot
kernel wouldn't recognize my ATAPI CD-ROM (I was trying to install from the
CDs).  I ended up installing from a DOS partition, which worked fine.  One
thing to note, if you do a minimal install to get things up and running,
planning to go back and install a more robust package, be warned that your
original setup will be wiped out!  I tried this to save time/space
installing from DOS.  I think I installed a more or less minimal package.
After I got things running, I found that there were no man pages.  Ack!  So
I did a /stand/sysinstall to install the package that included man pages,
etc.  This completely wiped out my original configuration, such as users,
etc.

So, in short, the only problem I had was getting the installation to
recognize my ATAPI CD-ROM.

- Larry

Original Text