Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:08:26 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        sdbug@sdbug.org
Subject:   Re: lament about freebsd sacrifices

--45wMVEkw4XUbiYON

On Wednesday, 14 April 2004 at 11:36:05 -0700, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> I thought I would post this as something of a warning.  Using
> FreeBSD as a primary, non-dual-boot OS means sacrificing.  Here is a
> partial list of sacrifices, as compared to Microsoft Windows XP:
>
> * webcam ball
> * flatbed scanner
> * color printer
> * digital cameras
> * firewire devices
> * several USB 1 and 2 devices
> * IM software features such as voice and video chat
> * websites that use ActiveX (Windows) controls
> * MP3 devices
>
> Any major sacrifices I've forgotten?  ":-\

Who knows?  I don't even understand what you're talking about.  Of
these,  I use on FreeBSD:

> * color printer
> * digital cameras
> * firewire devices
> * several USB 1 and 2 devices
> * MP3 devices

About the rest:

> * webcam ball

What's that?  Webcams work.

> * flatbed scanner

Scanners are supported.

> * IM software features such as voice and video chat

Are you talking about "Instant Messenger"?  I don't know why you'd
want to use it, but there's support for it in the Ports Collection.

> * websites that use ActiveX (Windows) controls

I don't know what that is, but if web sites use non-standard
extensions, they're not standards compliant.  That's their issue, not
FreeBSD's.

Of course, I can't tell you that everything in FreeBSD is better.  I
only know (and so do the people who have to listen to me bitching on
IRC) that Microsoft XP is one of the most frustrating environments I
have ever tried to use.  I'd "sacrifice" a lot to avoid having to use
it.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.