Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 98 18:31:18 +0200
From:      Andreas Kuehl <akuehl@mail.free.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        akuehl@free.de
Subject:   Adaptek 2940 and 2.2.7: Waiting for SCSI devices to settle

Hello

I'm trying to install FreeBSD from a 2.2.7 boot floppy.

The floppy is ftped from
ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE/floppies/boot.flp
and written with fdwrite -f boot.flp on a freebsd 2.2.5

The system is allready stripped to an Adaptek 2940UW with a single
hard disk drive IBM DCAS-34330, a Matrox Millenium VGA, a floppy
drive and 8 MB RAM on a no-name Board with a 486 DX2/66 Proz.

SCSI device ID 0 is the hard disk drive, TERM-Jumper is set. The
SCSI-Bus is about 40 cm long. The Adaptec has got default settings.

No IDE hard disk drive installed in bios and reallity.

Everything seems ok, but after the kernal konfiguration setup there
is only a "Waiting for SCSI devices to settle".

boot: -v tells me, the adaptec identifies the internal wide cable
and recognizes there is no external wide and no internal narrow
cable.

I'm able to install a Debian-Linux-distribution (don't flame me :-)
from floppy disk just out of the box without any problem.
I think there should be no hardware problem.

If anyone can help?

Andreas