Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:37:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount_mfs spits out potentially disturbing warnings

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Whassup

Some time back (like half a year ago), the following /etc/fstab
line, copied from some man page or tutorial I cannot remember now,
worked to give a /tmp without any problems in -stable (of course,
it doesn't work in -current, but this is the -stable list):

  /dev/ad0s3b             /tmp            mfs     rw              0       0

A month or two back, this line resulted in complaints at boot time
which freaked me out (since I had `newfs'ed a partition to handle
huge files, which had turned out to be incompatible with FreeBSD 3.x).

A few days ago, the warning (which I had determined just what it was
and had learned to ignore) changed (and now I think I know why), so
that today at boot time, when mounting filesystems, I get

  /dev/ad0s3h: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
  /dev/ad0s3h: clean, 43620725 free (13 frags, 5452589 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
* Warning: Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 94.
  Doing initial network setup: hostname.

This warning is the same that one sees when running `newfs' as well
as `mount_mfs' by hand.

I haven't checked, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the
fstab line, and I don't think that the mfs filesystem suffers in any
way, so I suggest...

* when calling newfs/mount_mfs as `mount_mfs', unless there is a good
  reason otherwise, don't output that Warning: line.

As far as `newfs' goes, while I haven't tried it, I'm guessing that now
newfs tries for the largest possible count of cylinders/group in the
new filesystem, just like long ago when I gave an absurdly large `-c'
value to see what the maximum I could get away with was.  I'll have to
look more closely to decide if this message would be better reworded.

thanks
barry bouwsma