Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:39:19 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
Subject:   Re: Can test again...

Hi,

> I grabbed the SMP tree, and have been hacking on it a bit.
>
> What I've noticed so far are:
>
>   --  mptable-2.0.2.c  AND  the kernel :  Both do the MPS floating pointer
> 	probe wrong.  They are searching on 4-byte boundaries (it should
> 	be 16-byte boundaries), and search too many areas.  This caused
> 	my test machine to not be recognized correctly.
>
> 	The proper probe sequence is to search (again, on 16-byte
> 	boundaries):
>
> 	(1)  If the EBDA is defined:
> 		-- The first kilobyte of the EBDA
> 	   else:
> 		-- The last kilobyte of system base memory.
> 	(2)  ROM space between 0xF0000 and 0xFFFFF.
>
> 	If you find it anywhere else, it might be a false report (as
> 	mentioned, it did on my test box).

I cleaned up the kernel to adhear to the letter of the MP spec., but left
mptable.c more liberal.  The newest mptable.c is now on the SMP page.
general usage of mptable is now:

mptable -verbose -dmesg

If it doesn't find the MP table, add option -grop

I would really appreciate it if everyone would re-grab mptable.c and return
the results to me (don't forget args "-verbose -dmesg").
(Russell Vincent, please ignore this request, I already have yours)
Note that I have started a page for collecting these results:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/mptable/mptable.html

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD