Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:38:17 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding swap when expanding root filesystem

On Mon, Nov 07, 2022 at 04:07:08PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2022, at 12:51, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> > [snip]

> > [snip]
> >
> > Definitely better than nothing. I think it's a good thing to do.

> > "Yes, please!". I'd suggest 2-4x physical RAM rather than 1.5x,
> > simply because extra swap is harmless and microSD cards are
> > amply large; 64GB was about the smallest readily available
> > last time I looked. Now it's probably 128GB.
> >
> > It might be wise to add a warning about flash wearing out,
> > but it took a year of near-continuous buildworlds to kill
> > a 128GB microSD holding -current on a Pi3 with ~3 GB swap.
> >
> > Anything done to make FreeBSD work better on Raspberry Pi
> > and competitors is worth a try. Running from microSD isn't
> > ideal but does work if used gently. It worked much better
> > under armv7. Between aarch64 and growth in compilers
> > working swap seems essential now, the more the better.

> > [snip]
> >>
> >> I think that???s a completely different problem.  I suspect that this
> >> is already possible, fetching packages over the net, but I don???t
> >> know the incantation.  Ideally the packages would be local, but then
> >> the image would be more like a CD-ROM.  It would be nice to have
> >> a procedure documented though.
> >>
> > Since there's a complete system on the microSD can't that be used
> > as the initial repository?
> >
> > I agree it is a different problem in terms of implementation.
> > If bsdinstall can format a boot device for Raspberry Pi I should
> > give it a try.
>
> Remember that bsdinstall does not deal with U-Boot
> installation in general.

Ok, I'll give up hope for now.

[snip]

> Also the amount of space
> U-Boot and the like takes varies. The Rock64 images
> use a 16 MiByte space for its U-Boot and the like,
> which are stored outside any file system.

I'm not sure how anything can be stored "outside any
filesystem". Might it be better to say "in a private filesystem",
as in not known to the running kernel?

Is there any basic problem with automatically establishing a
swap partition during a microSD card setup?  A trio of self-
hosted armv7 Pi2's with swap on microSD have been running
happily for over two years as name, mail and webservers on
64 GB cards. Admittely, aarch64 is a lot more swap-intensive,
but a Pi3 ran for about a year on a 128 GB card before things
started going wrong. That Pi3 was running buildworld
most of the time.

The Pi2's df outputs are now straddling 50% capacity without any
cleanup, so it's probably time to think about upgrading the storage
in some way. Treating microSD as a write-once medium isn't
outrageous and it may be prudent for shingled mechnical disks.

Configuring swap manually on a RPi microSD system is a very
considerable amount of work. Having it happen by default
wastes at most a few percent of the card capacity. At this
point I can't see any reason to say it's a bad idea and
have some personal experience to suggest it's a good idea.

[bsdinstall limitations snipped]

It might be worth mentioning the /boot/loader.conf and
/etc/sysctl.conf additions you've mentioned in other threads,
as adjuncts to having autoconfigured swap on microSD. They've
all been helpful in my experiments on RPi2 and RPi3. I think
they'd be constructive additions to the RPi images and perhaps
others..

Thanks for reading, and all your help!

bob prohaska