Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 20:23:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        etxs.ghost%memo.ericsson.se.etxs.etxbjln@memo.ericson.de (Bjoern Linderson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org (user alias)
Subject:   Re: bin/bin.ai and bin/bin.cc

> Hello!
>
> Nice work, the far i got...
> I'm a unix 'freak', and cant stand a PC machine, unless
> it runs Unix, and freebsd seems to be one of the fastest
> systems avaliable.
>
> I'm having trouble with the installation of FreeBSD.
> I downloaded the files in BIN (bin.aa....)
> and did everything as told in the installation manual.
> The first 8 parts, works just fine, but when i come to
> bin.ai, it goofs up. The FTP site's tell me that these parts
> should be 235K in size (all other parts are 240640 bytes)
> but the bin.ai comes down to 293683 bytes, and the bin.cc
> comes to 240632 bytes.

I looked into gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/dists/bin
and find these files being correctly sized (240640).
I don't know which sites you have tried but either you did something
wrong during the ftp download (bin vs. ascii mode, which I don't assume
since you are saying you are a 'unix freak') or something
is messed with the sites you tried.