Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:13:49 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Eddie Wieder <eddiew@raydian.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel Etherexpress Pro 100B and speed

Eddie Wieder wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 2.2.8 running with an Intel Etherexpress Pro 100B and a
> Linux (ugh) box with the same card, the linux box transfers file via ftp
> faster than the FreeBSD box,  I get about 600Kbps to 2Mbps on the
> FreeBSD and anywhere from 2Mbps to 6Mbps on the linux box.
>
> any clues

This can be any number of factors, i.e. CPU? Box configuration etc.? Hard
Drive? - I used to get what I thought was a measly 2Mb/sec from my FreeBSD box
to my NT workstation (via my 2 100Pro-B's), these days I get a much better
8-9Mb/sec - what changed? - The drivers on my Windows NT box, and the cable...

Neither changes on their own netted much of an increase - but both together
did...

See what I mean? :-) (i.e. give us more details? :-)

-Kp