Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 00:55:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isdn-"hubs" and isdn-"switches"

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Leif Neland wrote:

> According to specs, the S-bus should be a single line, terminated in
> either end, and the terminals should preferably be located also near
> the end; taps along the way are not recommended, and Y-splits
> definitely not.

I don't know where you got this from.  The normal "rules" are up to 150m
total length, with up to 8 taps along the way, with a maximum tap length
of 1m, or alternatively up to 800m with no taps.

> The topology of my house makes it difficult to follow these rules, if
> I want phones in differerent rooms..

Unless you have a very large house, you should be able to make things
fit.  Note that these "rules" - like all cabling rules - are designed to
simplify the problem, so that any installation obeying the rules is
guaranteed to work.  In reality, there is a trade-off between the total
length, number of taps/T-junctions, length of taps, accuracy of
termination etc.  Many combinations not permitted by the rules will also
work, though it is hard to guarantee this in advance.

> Therefore I could use an "isdn-hub". Does such a beast exist?

I have never seen one.  It would be nearly as hard to make one as it would
be to build a simple PBX, and the PBX would be much more useful, so I
suspect noone has bothered.

> Or should I rather get a PABC?

This depends what you want to do, and how much you pay for the
equipment.  In the UK, ISDN phones are hard to find, and PBX with
additional S-bus ports are much more expensive than ones with just
analogue telephone ports.  Hence the best combination for me is an
analogue PBX for phones, wired in parallel on the S-bus with the PCs
running i4b.  You can still configure the system, for example, so that an
analogue phone rings (via the PBX) on a particular MSN number, but the i4b
answerphone answers it if you have not picked up the phone after a while.

If ISDN phones are cheaper where you are, the best option may be
different.

> Can i4b work as a PABC, i.e. can I put more isdn-adapters in, and
> connect a phone to each isdn-adapter?

No, the S-bus is not symmetric: connecting an ISDN phone to an adapter in
a PC would fundamentally not work at the hardware level, never mind the
software issues.