Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:34:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Glenn Chisholm <glenn@ircache.net>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        chat@FREEBSD.org
Subject:   Re: (2) hey

> The appropriate response is to ignore them.  The internet sees
> non-compliance as damage, and routes around it, or ignores it.  I'm not
> sure where enforcement came into this.

Ignoring them is a form of enforcement. Just as you filter certain
networks for the BGP tables, refuse to resolve incorrectly constructed
domain names etc. By making it impossible for people to connect to their
site you force them to either comply or die. In other cases the code is
written so they can not do overly dumb things another form of enforcement.

glenn