Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 14:38:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, taob@io.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: 3 terabytes on one server? (was Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a single machine ?)

Joe Greco wrote:
> > As Sean Kelly wrote:
> >
> > > Yep.  The sixth field is the fsck pass number.  fsck runs in order of
> > > pass number, entries with the same number are run in parallel.
> >
> > Only two distinct pass numbers are supported, however.  The first is
> > for the root f/s, the other one for the rest.
>
> Really?!?!  That's a little alarming, for those of us who put multiple fs's
> on the same disk...
>
> The Sun implementation allows me to do
>
> /dev/sd0a       /                               4.2     rw              1 1
> /dev/sd0b       swap                            swap    rw              0 0
> /dev/sd0g       /usr                            4.2     rw              1 2
> /dev/sd2b       swap                            swap    rw              0 0
> /dev/sd2g       /usr/local                      4.2     rw              1 2
> /dev/sd4d       /var                            4.2     rw              1 5
> /dev/sd3a       /var/spool                      4.2     quota,rw        1 3
> /dev/sd4a       /tmp                            4.2     quota,rw        1 4
> /dev/sd4b       swap                            swap    rw              0 0
> /dev/sd4f       /usr/u1                         4.2     rw              1 3
> /dev/sd4g       /nfs                            4.2     rw              1 2
> /dev/sd6a       /usr/u0                         4.2     quota,rw        1 2
>
> Notice all the partitions on sd4, a heavily beat upon 660MB disk...  I
> set those up to fsck in order (note the pass #'s)...
>
> Now admittedly FreeBSD's fsck is a lot faster :-), but if this really is a
> limitation, it is too bad..  maybe I will go look at it :-)

I believe you don't understand the way FreeBSD actually handles
this.  (Heck, maybe I don't either, but this is what I actually
observe happenning.)  After fscking / (with a pass number of 1),
it then fsck's all the other filesystems (with pass numbers of 2)
by forking a process for each disk.  These per-disk processes fsck
their file systems in sequence.  I have observed this behavior
numerious times on my file server with 14 disks and 3 SCSI busses
(with disks on them, I have a 4th with a CDROM drive & a couple of
Exabyte tape drives that doesn't get to participate in the fun :-).
It is *very* apparent that all 14 disks are being fscked at the
same time.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com