Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:20:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Will <will@marauder.wnyric.org>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   help with my scsi exabyte tape

Hi!  Thanks for help.

I just upgraded my FreeBSD to 2.2.2
I have a cdrom subscription.

My system has a scsi EXB-8200 Exabyte tape backup unit.

Before my upgrade it worked fine with the kernel I had.  With the 2.2.2
GENERIC kernel, I get a this error when I do a mt rewind or any other
commands that need the tape unit:

               mt: /dev/nrst0: Device not configured

I don't have the source to my old kernel which configured it.  I did try
my try my old kernel binary which I copied to a floppy and copied to my
new FreeBSD 2.2.2.  I got the same error message.  How can this be?
My hardware is exactly the same.  I did try the MAKEDEV command.

-Jim     will@marauder.wnyric.org