Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:32:32 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Power to Serve?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Annelise Anderson wrote:

[...]
> 	--the ISDN line (RJ-45 jack) is connected to an ISDN
> modem.
>
> 	--the modem is connected to a computer running FreeBSD
> (3.1-RELEASE right now; P-90, 64 megs ram)
>
> 	--the FreeBSD machine and the other computers (some
> of which run Windows NT and even 98, as well as FreeBSD, about
> 6 in all) are connected by ethernet to a hub, on an internal
> 10.10.10.x network; one of them would be 100 feet away from
> the hub, the others closer.
>
> 	So, the question is what software do I run that enables
> the other computers to use the ISDN line by dialing the ISDN
> modem?  It would always be dialing the number--the ISDN isp.

Your FreeBSD machine would be your internal network's gateway.
Your FreeBSD box will need to be gateway_enabled; and you'd have
ppp running, possibly:

	ppp -alias -auto your_isp_entry

Other combinations are possible, eg: ppp+natd+ipfw

The other machines on your network will need to have their
default gateway/route set to your FreeBSD box. Any packet seen by the
FreeBSD box not on your internal 10.10.10.x network will cause it to
dial out.

Jonathan Chen