Date:      08 May 1999 01:42:01 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        David Abdemoulaie <DAcash18@vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up an ftp server

David Abdemoulaie <DAcash18@vt.edu> writes:

> Ok, I'm having lots of trouble with this. I am using ftpd (I dont know
> where wuftpd is even tho i installed it) on FreeBSD 3.1-Release. I have
> it setup for anon access and that seems to work fine. The trouble comes
> in when I try to link my directories that have stuff in them to the pub
> folder.. I have a directory called /DOSE/FTP, in here are more
> directories containing the stuff I have.. I am trying to link them to my
> /var/ftp/pub directory.. but when I try to cd into them
> ("/var/ftp/pub/Stuff" for example..) I get the error message "Stuff: No
> such file or directory.". I dont have a clue why this is.. I can go into
> that directory just fine from my system.. just not thru ftp. I have a
> feeling it has to do with my permissions on the links/folders.. not sure
> how or what to set these to. Any help would be appreciated.

Looking at the port's PLIST, wu-ftpd is probably installed as
/usr/local/libexec/ftpd with sample configuration files being
/usr/local/etc/ftp*.example.

For the system ftp daemon:

man 8 ftpd

When you log in anonymously, the server chroots to the home directory
of the ftp user.  This makes symlinks outside of ~ftp/ inaccessable.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.