Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Transfering Syatem

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Spike Gronim wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, William Woods wrote:
> > Can I just copy it all over? Or would it be easier to just have a fresh
> > install of FreeBSD ion the new 8 gig drive?

> I haven't had to do anything like this before, but I would say installing
> fresh would probably be a lot less of a headache.

I have, and you do want to do the fresh install.  If you changed/added
a lot to your current drive that you want to restore, you can mount
it and copy what you need.

For an IDE drive with typical partitions (use /dev/sd* for scsi)

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV wd1s1a

will make all the slice devices.

# mount /dev/wd1s1a /mnt

That would mount your old root partition on /mnt

# mount /dev/wd1s1f /mnt

would mount your old /usr on /mnt

Look at /etc/fstab on your existing installation to get the
right slice numbers, they'll be wd0 here but will be wd1 when
it's the second disk.

Oh, the dual boot may change the devices around too (I run
everything dangerously dedicated) but making a copy of your
current fstab for reference should make it clear what you
need to do.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com