Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:16:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Why I am opposed to a Standards Ghetto

What it boils down to is that we end up with two completely separate
versions of every utility for which a standard exists -- one which
implements the standard behavior, and one which does not -- for all
time.  Broken scripts will never get updated, because script-writers
will hard-code them to ignore the standard utilities and use the
non-standard ones instead.  (We see that already in Solaris, where
many users are totally unaware of the way in which their default
environment differs from what the standard says, blithely trusting in
Sun's conformance claim on the ticklist without investigating all the
myriad actions one must take to get a compliant programming
environment.)

That way lies madness.  Every question about a standard utility will
then become unanswerable without a piece of information users would be
surprised and in some cases hard-pressed to answer.  Ultimately, I
think it's less of a POLA violation to tell our users, ``this used to
work this way, but now there's a standard that says it works that way
instead, and we wanted to comply with the standard'', than it is to
encourage the creation of scripts which only work when one of multiple
official FreeBSD versions of a utility is found in the search path
first.

Note that I am specifically speaking of the base POSIX standard.  I am
not including in this discussion the X/Open System Interfaces option
of POSIX.1-2001, which is in essence the old System V Interface
Definition.  To the extent we can support XSI behavior without
conflicts, I think we should do so.  I do not think that we should
supply a separate XSI version of utilities which do have significant
conflicts (like `ps'), since our aim is not to emulate System V, and
most of the differences as remain are old System V mistakes.

-GAWollman