Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:38:14 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@direct-source.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and Win95

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > Can you ping your FreeBSD box from your Win95 boxes?
>
> 	Not at all, they don't see each other at all. The Linux box had
> DHCP enabled, do I maybe need that? Right now the two 95 machines don't
> even seen each other, which leads me to believe that possibly DHCP needs
> to be loaded. I've got TCP/IP loaded on both those.

You're correct, your current setup looks like it requires a DHCP
server running on the FreeBSD box. However, if all you want is to get
your 3 machine network running, how about just assigning the IP
addresses to your machines directly? I'd really only consider DHCP for
networks with 15-20+ machines..

> > >I made the /windows/hosts file as was suggested in
> > > the handbook, and have changed the Windows Networking stuff as suggested,
> > > except for one thing. The DNS server asked for and host name should be my
> > > ISP, or the FreeBSD box?
> >
> > Depends. If you've got a DNS running on your FreeBSD box you'd enter
> > it that. If not, use your ISP's.
>
> 	That maybe part of the problem, I'm not sure if I have DNS running
> right. Would that also be the 192.168.1.4 number?

If your process list has /usr/sbin/named, you have a DNS running,
otherwise you don't.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>   | "Vini, vidi, velcro...