Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 01:14:13 +1000
From:      "Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
To:        <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: aliening and freetel

>I used to maintain that I could setup a NAT dial out on an NT Server
>faster than I could setup ppp on FreeBSD. That is still true but only
>if you haven't setup a FreeBSD kernel for a gateway. I used pmdemand
>basically right out of the sample file. I did delete everything in
>ppp.linkup and ppp.linkdown until I was left with
>
>pmdemand:
>        delete ALL
>        add 0 0 HISADDR
>
>for a linkup and
>
>pmdemand:
> iface clear
>
>for a linkdown.

I wish it was that simple ..... its taken me several weeks so far with BSD
and only just making a bit of progress now (well hopefully anyway).

I wonder what shareholding some of the MAN producers have in companies
that produce headache pills ?? .... but then its not the first time I've
been called
a bit cynical

With MSWin and *nix interfaces like KDE, setting up PPP is 99% GUI,
which I find infinitely more intuitive, however there are some brilliant CLI
style
PPP config utilities out there for linux (eg wvdial) and I guess its only a
matter
of time before someone ports them to BSD.

The FreeBSD PPP script from
ftp://flag.blackened.net/pub/freebsd/ppp_script.sh
I just found looks really interesting so I'll try that in a few minutes.

Also discovered a nice utility by name of "mtools". for working with DOS
floppies. It looks a good way to get around that "mount' insanity, so
instead
of trying to remember "n" lines of weird commands I just need to download
the script from the FTP site to floppy and mcopy it into the BSD box ......
instead of spending the whole weekend typing 9 pages of stuff that will
most probably have to be re-done in a day or so (probably a few hours
judging
from past events) when I break the BSD box again.

>I set timeout to 600 because I want ppp to drop the line after 10 mins
>of inactivity and not my ISP. I also wanted the connect speed to be
>logged in the ppp.log. I invoke ppp with
>
>"ppp -auto pmdemand"
>
>The alias enable in pmdemand in ppp.conf is already established.

How do you figure that .... its not at all clear to me whats enabled in all
that
verbiage ..... I guess its all relevant to "something", but unless you know
your way around pp.conf its hard to know what to do with 95% of the lines.
I think the BSD Handbook makes a fair attempt to guide users through
pp.conf, but it could be improved significantly with a few sample ppp.conf
 that are typical of & relevant to the various setups, some screen dumps
showing a more graphical view of what parts of PP.conf should look like,
and especially more attention to placement of spaces, indents etc.
or