Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:51:57 -0400
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        <albert.shih@obspm.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: portsnap in cron and firewall

> Date: Fri=2C 5 Sep 2008 17:43:44 +0200> From: Albert.Shih@obspm.fr> To: m=
illenia2000@hotmail.com> CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> Subject: Re: po=
rtsnap in cron and firewall> > > Le 05/09/2008 =E0 11:33:59-0400=2C Sean Ca=
vanaugh a =E9crit> > > > > > > Date: Fri=2C 5 Sep 2008 16:14:02 +0200> From=
: Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>> > > To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> Subject: po=
rtsnap in cron and> > > firewall> > Hi all> > I've some servers for interna=
l use. On those> > > servers I have some pf (or> ipfw) rule to deny any con=
nection from> > > inside to outside. > > Long time ago when ports tree is u=
pdate with> > > cvs=2C I'm using something like> > pf command to open insid=
e -->> > > outside connection> cvsup > portupgrade --fetch-only --all> pf> =
> > command to close inside --> outside connection> > But now with> > > por=
tsnap cron (that's mean random sleep) I don't known when> the> > > system t=
ry to connect outside. > > Do you have any idea how can I> > > make my upda=
te using portsnap (I known I can> use cvsup) in a> > > crontab with my netw=
ork config ? >> > > > "portsnap cron" just randomizes the time to download =
unlike "portsnap> > fetch" which says to do it right now. cron was added to=
 help randomize> > the time so everyone syncing at midnight UTC arent all h=
itting at> > exact same time.> > Yes I known. That's why I'm asking you how=
 can I make portsnap through the> cron and opening firewall just before he =
going to make the connection.> > Of course I can hack the portsnap to make =
he don't try to see if it's fork> by cron or not. But it's not a good idea =
IMHO=2C what's happen if all person> do that ?=20
I think you misread what i was saying. Inside your cron job use "portsnap f=
etch" instead of "portsnap cron". that way it will fetch exactly when you r=
un the cron job=2C without the randomized delay.
=20
most likely a shell script that would have the following:
1)open pf
2)portsnap fetch
3)portsnap update (<- you were missing this important step also)
4)portupgrade --fetch-only --all
5)close pf=