Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:22:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        bbeavers@Moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us (Bill Beavers)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dmesg message

In a previous message, Bill Beavers said:

> Since my box seems to reboot itself every now and then due to (I think) a
> flakey cylades board, now when I reboot and do a dmesg, I get this at the
> bottom...
>
> changing root device to sd0a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.
> de0: enabling BNC port
>
> Since / was not properly dismounted, what will that do, and what steps to
> I need to take to make it right again and have it mount back so that I
> don't have this WARNING!

If a machine crashes, then the filesystem process didn't have time to
sync the disk to ensure integrity. In all likelyhood it's just the
clean bit not set. fsck(8) takes care of it.

To not get the message, the machine must come down gracefully.

--
"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." --Irving
Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.