Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/23978: NEW PORT: security/amavis-perl

The following reply was made to PR ports/23978; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To: <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>,
	Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 03:00:15 +0200 (IST)

 On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

 > On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 07:10:03AM -0800, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
 > >  Yes, they do, I need them for both RUN _and_ BUILD.
 > >  Is there a cleaner way of doing this instead of
 > >  RUN_DEPENDS="${BUILD_DEPENDS}" ?
 >
 > No.  That is the best way, although I (and others) would prefer if it
 > was:
 >
 > RUN_DEPENDS=    ${BUILD_DEPENDS}
 It doesn't work as expected for some weird reason, so please keep it.

 > for aesthetic purposes.
 >
 > >  Yes, I wanted to uncomment this as a warning.
 >
 > If you're going to uncomment it, no point in keeping it.
 Alright, uncomment it then. I guess pkg-message warning isn't enough.
 I know that some people use it, I tested it, but I'm afraid of the damage
 it _may_ (or may not) cause in production systems.

 > >  yes, but doing this demands:
 > >  1) good knowledge of these MTAs
 > >  2) thinking about pkg-install.pl again, and modiying it.
 > >  3) what if one person has all four mailers operating together in some
 > >  esoteric way?
 >
 > So you use .if defined(WANT_POSTFIX) ... .endif, and so forth for each
 > of the mailers, with sendmail as the default.  You can use something
 > like this (to avoid having to make the port interactive):
 >
 > .if defined(WANT_POSTFIX)
 > CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-postfix
 > PLIST_SUB+=             POSTFIX=""
 > .else
 > CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --no-postfix
 > PLIST_SUB+=             POSTFIX="@comment "
 > .endif
 > .if defined(WANT_QMAIL)
 > [...]
 > .else
 > [...]
 > .endif
 > [...]

 As I said, I think it's better to use Makefile.inc which is created by
 PRE-CONFIGURE argument for pkg-install.
 Or, I'll need to pass it as an enviromental variable if I do it this way.
 btw, this is what billf advised, but it's not as simple as it sounds.
 Ah, keep in mind that RUN_DEPENDS and BUILD_DEPENDS whould be modified as
 well.

 > The best thing about this method is that it doesn't look like an ugly
 > hack.  Really.  You can even add in some perl regexes to make changes as
 > necessary to other files.  You can (albeit with some difficulty) add
 > patches specific to a MTA by setting them up in a [pre,post]-patch
 > target with the appropriate .ifdefs.  It might be easier just to do
 > regexes.  You could also do patches by default that (additionally) regex
 > to make specific parts of the patch ineffective (it's quite possible to
 > do this :-).
 As (if) you've seen, my patches are "dynamic" - e.g. made in the form of a
 perl script with simple regex, so virtiually any sendmail.cf from any
 version can be "patched".
 I'll have to learn exim, qmail and postfix to some degree (I know them
 already, but it's not enough), so I'll be able to figure out right
 regexps.

 > In any case, there's no limit.  You probably won't have to make any kind
 > of real hacks.
 I'm pretty sure about it.
 If it's possible, please commit it this way. I'll do some work about this
 issue later, and I know that people are waiting to use amavis already.

 Happy new year!

 --Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
 [ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]