Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 20:06:14 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

As Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> If you write exact name of your CPU such as ones specified on pages
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7ee/mobile/index.htm
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/mobile/index.htm
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/mobile/index.htm
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei3/mobile/index.htm

The laptop is labelled "Core i5", and the boot messages say:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 460  @ 2.53GHz (2537.13-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x20655  Stepping = 5
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x9ae3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,<b17>,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT>
  AMD Features=0x28100000<NX,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant

The link you gave mentions "2nd generation", and availability as of
02-2011, so I looked around a bit, and found:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=43483&MarketSegment=MBL

So I think it's an i5-460M.

(If anyone wants the full boot messages, I can of course sent those.)

> Also exact model name of laptop will be useful .

When I wrote the first message, I haven't been at home so I could not
lookup the exact model.  Now, back home, I can.  It's a DELL Vostro
3700.  Googling for it reveals that apparently, some of those are sold
with a "hybrid graphics" where the CPU-internal graphics is
accompanied by another nVidia graphics board, but our model doesn't
appear to feature this.

The pciconf -lv entry of the VGA is:

vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x04421028 chip=0x00468086 rev=0x18 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

I see a mention of this PCI ID in the X.org driver code starting with
the Intel video driver version 2.8:

(src/common.h)

#ifndef PCI_CHIP_IGDNG_M_G
#define PCI_CHIP_IGDNG_M_G              0x0046
#define PCI_CHIP_IGDNG_M_G_BRIDGE       0x0044
#endif

(And it's not only these #defines, they are actually used in the code
then.)

That's why I assumed it would perhaps be possible to tweak that 2.8
driver (even though I know it's still far behind the current X.org
version) to compile.

The VESA driver doesn't start up because it cannot find any usable
mode.  That's probably due to the widescreen mode this display has
(1600 x 900 pixels).  Maybe I could generate a modeline for that to
make it work as a start, to bridge the time until the more recent
X.org support is available in FreeBSD.  However, for obvious reasons,
I'd only do that as a stop-gap measure, if it's clear that it will
eventually be supported in the forseeable future.  (3D acceleration
support is not crucial for us, it's basically an office machine, but
2D is.)

Thanks for all the help and ideas so far!