Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:37:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        FastPathNow@netscape.net, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SACK code patch for FreeBSD 4.3

In article <local.mail.freebsd-net/3724E815.3A5D18DB.375A6AF3@netscape.net> you write:
>Hi
>I am currently working on implementing SACK on FreeBSD 4.3 (STABLE) . At
>some point in the future I plan to contribute this patch to the FreeBSD
>source tree (4.3 or later). I had a look at
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/contrib.html
>.
>
>With regards to the code contribution, I have the following questions:
>1) Whom do I need to be in touch with as far as the SACK contribution is
>concerned?. I suspect that only files in the /usr/src/sys/netinet
>directory will be modified.
>2) Given that the code I am working with is a stable release, what might
>possibly be the release into which the code inclusion can take place?.
>Would it be in a future CURRENT release, which would then get included
>in a future STABLE release after further testing?

The code would get put in -current first, and then incorporated into
-stable after a shake out period.  However, you should feel free to
continue developing on -stable, and what you have would be made available
as a patchset until it is included into -stable.

Have you looked at the other SACK implementations?  I think that NetBSD
may have some related code, but I think it is incomplete.  There may also
be some code from the UCB Daedalus project, but I'm not sure what the
status of this is.  <ftp://daedalus.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/tcpsack/>;

In any case, I'm glad to see someone working on it.  Sending mail to
-net is probably the best way to reach people who are interested in
the networking stack.  When the patch is done, (or when you have something
working), I'm sure that you'll have no problem finding volunteers to
review the code and then commit it.
--
Jonathan