Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:22:41 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        fmorales@reuna.cl, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEW USER OF FREEBSD

On Thu, 06 Jul 1995 at 20:07 SAT, Francisco Morales Iraagorri wrote:

> Hi, my name is Francisco (i speak spanish, so forgive my bad english)

No problem.  :)

> 1.- What does the acronim BSD means?

Berkeley Software Distribution.  It was a research project of the University
of California at Berkeley, and can be seen as one of the two primary strains
of Unix.

> 2.- Is the FREEBSD a project from GNU?

Decidedly not.  Though the full FreeBSD operating system includes some
software licensed under the GNU GPL, the kernel itself has a more lenient
licence.

> 3.- Is FREEBSD so easy to install like Linux?

Yes.  More so than some Linux distributions.  At least as easy as (say)
Redhat.

> 4.- Does FREEBSD have so good performance and security level like Linux

>From experience I would say better, but then, I'm biased.  ;-)

> 5.- Does FREEBSD have releases in other languages like win95?

Not sure what you mean.  It's a complete operating system.

> 6.- Does FREEBSD have a similar structure like Linux,i.e does it have
> the same commands?

Yes, though it differs in the details.  FreeBSD is almost "pure" BSD, while
Linux can be very System V'ish.

Yes, see http://www.freebsd.org/

> 8.- Does FREEBSD versions for other machines like DEC,MAC,HP?

Not yet.  But it's in the pipeline.  NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org/),
FreeBSD's close relative, already supports a number of architectures.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878