Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:40:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_aio.c

In article <199712022131.NAA00912.kithrup.freebsd.current@kithrup.com> you write:

Well, I wrote.

And I've said what I expect to be the last on it -- I don't really have a
problem with the changes as an experiment, or Poul-Henning (even
though it may sound like that, and I *do* apologise for it if so
-- I don't hold anything against you personally).

I do think they were not very good changes, however, for a lot of reasons.
If it didn't impact on the API and proc structure, I wouldn't care -- and a
0.01% performance gain in that situation is a reasonable accomplishment.

But these changes did affect the API, and the proc structure, and those are
both things that should not be done lightly -- and I think, in this case, it
was done too lightly; if the gains had been higher (on the order of 1%,
perhaps), I'd've said "go for it."  But that was not the case.

Anyway, hopefully, everyone's said their piece about it, and I won't have
anything else to say about it now :).