Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:09:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dholland@cs.toronto.edu (David Holland)
Cc:        rotel@indigo.ie, tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS & SLICE?

> Major and minor device numbers are a projection of internal kernel
> guts into user space. As such, they are a problem, not a feature.

Here here.

> The DEVFS approach, when taken to its conclusion, ultimately leads to
> abolishing the concept entirely. You'd still need dev_t for stat, but
> you don't need or want to interpret the contents.

For what it's worth, on Solaris, the dev_t returned by stat is the
address of the device descriptor in kernel space, and not an index.

>  > These two issues seem more or less the same, using DEVFS simply
>  > moves the checking from mknod code to DEVFS code.  Any general
>  > framework implemented in DEVFS for controlling device visibility
>  > in chroot environments could just as easily be provided for mknod.
>
> Huh? How do you tell mknod(2) that it can only create nodes in (say)
> /dev, /home/ftp/dev, and /usr/test/chroot/dev?

Or better yet:

	# mknod wd0 c 21 1
	mknod: Command not found.
	#

(Yes, I know you will still need "mknod" to build an NFS "/dev" for
primitive OS's like DEC UNIX and Linux; don't take everything so
seriously!).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---