Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 19:31:08 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Second processor not being used?

Hi,

> I just install a second Pentium Pro processor in my system. I built an SMP
> kernel, rebooted, and the second processor is found and brought online.

Are you setting SMP_AUTOSTART in the config file?  there are several places
in the boot where references are made to the 2nd CPU, but that doesn't
mean that its running processes.

> However, it does not appear to do anything. I submitted two jobs that each
> require about 3 hours of computation time (very little disk I/O). Both jobs
> were being run from the primary processor however. Is there something I need to
> do to tell a job to go to a certain processor? Please help.

this doesn't make alot of sense, but then you knew that!
try making a kernel with 1 cpu running:

sysctl -w kern.smp_active=1
cd /usr/src/sys/compile/SMP
make clean && make depend && time make -j4

then with 2 CPUs running:

sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2
cd /usr/src/sys/compile/SMP
make clean && make depend && time make -j8

let us know the times for each.

and give us an mptable:

mptable -dmesg > outfile

--