Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:24:31 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>, Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade Utility

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 03:16:22PM -0500, Andrew J Caines wrote:
> Pat,
>
> > Anyone thought of re-coding it in perl? I know little about either
> > language, so I applogize if this sounds stupid.
>
> While the dependencies would be a big issue affecting consideration of
> making a tool part of the base system, in this case we are talking about a
> tool for the ports system only.
>
> It would make little sense to put it in the base system even if it had no
> dependencies.

-stable is the wrong list for this.  -ports would be better.

I began coding this functionality into the pkg_* tools some time ago,
along with some other enhancements.  At the time no one was interested.
This was before portupgrade was written.  The two people with the
greatest interest in the pkg_* tools are Jordan (jkh), who's backing
libh as a replacement, and Maxim (sobomax).  I don't know if either of
them ever looked at my patches.

See http://people.freebsd.org/~reg/

As to incoroporation into the base system: if the code was in C, or perl
it would be incorporated.  Package management is an integral part of the
FreeBSD base system, because without it we would have to add everything
to the base system.

Since no one was interested, I lost interest.  Then I lost to real
life...  I've still got a working copy on my development box, and I'd be
willing to supply it on my web page.  Occasionally I get time to work on
it.  At the moment I'm more likely to contribute the finished product to
OpenPackages.org.

My next target is to add pkgdb functionallity (which is already in C),
because my code can use a lot of cycles doing this the hard way.  Then
actually make the upgrade functionallity work.  After that, changes from
the last year or so need to be merged, and then any useful features from
portupgrade, NetBSD and OpenBSD.

I would love contributions from anyone else.  I've been very careful to
actually design my code, and tried to comment it...

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/