Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:02:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        sysadm@sysadm.cc (Julien Oster)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting time from ISDN and using AOCD

Julien Oster wrote:

> 1.) I'd like to set my system time from the ISDN timestamps.

A DCF77 receiver capable of working out of the box with FreeBSD costs
19,95 DM and is setup in a minute. You get a _very_ accurate clock
cheap and with almost zero work.

The ISDN time in Germany is sent as Hour:Minute so the accuracy is bad
as even the Telekom does not give any guarantee or even a specification
about its acurrateness. More work has to be done in that something like
xntpd has to be written for setting the time via ISDN.

Baseline: in case you are at least a bit serious about your clock's time,
          get yourself a cheap DCF77 clock and forget about setting time
          from ISDN.

Hint: have a look at this FAQ which occurs every two weeks in the german
      ISDN newsgroups and is answered there much more detailed.

> 2.) I'd like that my sppp interface (i.e. isdnd) hangs up 5 seconds before
>     the next unit.

Have a look at the description in the handbook. Its explained in detail there.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...