Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 18:41:59 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, brian@utell.co.uk, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Bruce Evans wrote:

> All systems.  The kernel doesn't count signals, so if ppp isn't run for
> more than 1.2 seconds then it will miss some alarms.  However, this probably
> isn't important since it will miss much more than alarms :-).  There may be
> problems with closer-spaced alarms if ppp wants to count them.

The big difference here is pended (delayed) and not pended signals
handling. PPP code was written in assumptions that SIGALRM reaction
is not delayed, so if we trust developer, he choose timeout + handler
action in the way that signals not missed. If we delay signals reaction
with pending, we increase probaility for signals missing and must count
them to be shure.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>