Date:      Thu, 6 May 2004 16:21:10 +0200
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.com>
Subject:   Re: Restoring system files from CD

--Boundary-02=_hnkmAnAYerQeLz1

On Thursday 06 May 2004 15:10, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> How can I restore some lost system files from the original 5.2.1-RELEASE
> CD-ROM? Is there somewhere in the handbook to discuss this?

I did this once under 5.1 release. I think it's still the same procedere:

Insert the 5.2.1-RELEASE CD-ROM and boot into the installation menu.
Then select the 'Fixit' option from the install menu.=20
Next select option 2 CDROM/DVD (you need the 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso=20
handy or download it from a freebsd ftp server).
The fixit shell starts on terminal 4, where you can fsck and mount your=20
damaged filesystem. cd to /dist, there you may find the files you are looki=
ng=20
for.

regards
ch