Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:01:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Musings about tracking FreeBSD...

I have a very simple shell script that greps /usr/ports/INDEX to find ports
that need updating.  It does have the rare false alarm (namely pgp-2.6.2).
Also, I find that /usr/ports/INDEX isn't always up to date with the rest of the
ports tree, occasionally producing another false alarm, but these are easy to
find by just checking the version in the respective ports Makefile.  If anyones
interested, e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

On 22-Mar-99 Mike Meyer wrote:
> While it's good idea, it's not the way I'd tackle it. How about
> grovelling over the output of "make update", and if a change in a port
> shows up, check /usr/ports/<wherever>/Makefile for the package name,
> and then /var/db/pkg for that name. If it's there, add a note about it
> to that file.
>
> Of course this misses changes in the libraries/includes/etc. that
> might cause you to want to rebuild a port.
>
>       <mike
>
> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Richard J. Dawes wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:45:43 -0800 (PST)
>> From: Richard J. Dawes <rjdawes@physics.ucsd.edu>
>> To: Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
>> Cc: stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject: Re: Musings about tracking FreeBSD...
>>
>> Hi!
>>      How about if you write a script that gets a list of ports you've
>> installed (or just ones you worry about).  Then it goes through your
>> mail from the "cvs-all" mailing-list, and adds those regarding your list
>> of ports to a file (sorted to taste), discarding the rest.  Run nightly,
>> or whenever you make world.
>>      A quick scan of the output should indicate the ports you might
>> wish to upgrade.  Might not be too hard in PERL.  Just an idea... Good
>> luck!
>>
>> --Rich
>>

>> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > However, that brings up yet *another* level of problem. Even if you
>> > follow the correct procedures completely (or at least as completely as
>> > they have been specified here), you can still wind up with broken
>> > binaries from the /ports tree. In fact, the first time I did a system
>> > update, I did exactly that: update the source tree, build the world,
>> > install the world, build a new kernel, install the new kernel, run
>> > mergemaster, and reboot. Everything worked fine. Then I dumped / &
>> > /usr to disk and tried to burn a CD-ROM of those dumps for archival
>> > purposes - only to have cdrecord die in the middle with an illegal
>> > system call. Rebuilding cdrecord solved the problem, but this
>> > illustrates that the recommended procedure is incomplete - you need to
>> > reinstall all ports/packages as well, right? Is there a tool that
>> > inspects /var/db/pkg to automate that process?
>> > [...]

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc