Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2012 03:27:50 -0600
From:      PseudoCylon <moonlightakkiy@yahoo.ca>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>,  =?windows-1251?B?y/7h7uzo8CDD8Ojj7vDu4g==?= <nm.knife@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 6250 and WiMax

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 14:06:51 -0700
> From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: Intel 6250 and WiMax
> To: ??????? ???????? <nm.knife@gmail.com>
> Cc: freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
>
> 2012/4/9 =EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=C3=B0 =EF=
=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=C3=A2 <nm.knif=
e@gmail.com>:
>>> We do. Linux has a stack in net/wimax and the driver for the
>>> Intel devices is in drivers/net/wimax/i2400m
>>> In other words, no, we currently do not support the WiMax stuff
>>> of any of the Intel cards nor any other device afaik
>>
>> Hmm, I suppose I can always order the carry-it-anywhere hub as a solutio=
n.
>> Or use Windows / GNU/Linux. Since it seems this isn't something short an=
>> easy, and given the status of WiMax, probably not something that will
>> happen for FreeBSD soon/ever.
>
> I really am encouraging someone to look into this. I'd love to see
> wimax stack+support in FreeBSD.

At a quick look, linux wimax stack doesn't do much. Basically, it
handles attach/detach and some state changes (INIT and RUN). I could
work on adding this degree of supports as a weekend project (slow
progress) if no one does it.

Though, only usie and uhso could get benefits, i.e. call if_alloc()
with other than IFT_OTHER, no manual configuration, and relevant
ifconfig out put, like
carrier: mega telco
media: GSM
status: connected
bar: . : i |

How should we name it,
net80216
netwimax
netwman
netmnet (mobile net)
netwnet (wireless net)
or else?

For those looking for device drivers, even though wimax stack is
added, someone still have to write the drivers to make your device
work.

> If you can come up with a useful sounding proposal, the freebsd
> foundation may even sponsor the work.

Then, will the foundation send me one like this?
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=3D84303&postcount=3D29

AK