Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:20:03 +0900
From:      OKAZAKI Tetsurou <okazaki@be.to>
To:        sjr@home.net
Cc:        will@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/18931: tkrat2 port update to 2.0rc1

Removed one of Will's addresses from Cc: :-)

In the message <200006090359.XAA04880@cc158233-a.catv1.md.home.com>
"Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net> wrote:

> On  8 Jun, Will Andrews wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:16:31PM -0400, Stephen J. Roznowski wrote:
> >> A minor patch to the release will probably become 2.0.1.
> >
> > Would you like to suggest a better PORTVERSION?

> What is wrong with 2.0rc1?

> I've tried to find a description of this variable in the handbook, but
> the only description that I can find is at:

> 	http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/x363.html

> which doesn't say very much.

Please see the Chapter "Package Names" in the handbook about
guidelines of the version string.

http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/porting-pkgname.html

 4. The version string should follow a dash (-) and be a period-separated list
    of integers and single lowercase alphabetics. In particular, it is not
    pormissible to have another dash inside the version string. The only
     ^
    exception is the string pl (meaning `patchlevel'), which can be used only
    when there are no major and minor version numbers in the software. If the
    software version has strings like "alpha", "beta", or "pre", take the first
    letter and put it immediately after a period. If the version string
    continues after those names, the numbers should follow the single alphabet
    without an extra period between them.

So PORTVERSION= 2.0.r1 is better.

P.S. Current composition of the handbook should be improved.
It is good to move the chapter of package names to somewhere
before descriptions of "PORTNAME and PORTVERSION".

--
Tetsurou