Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 01:58:43 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jedgar@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   news/pan port broken?

Maintainer Cc:'d

Is the pan newsreader port broken? I cvsup'd the ports tree at
21:30 BST last night (22/4) but it dies. I've included part of the
output below but to avoid wasting bandwidth the complete output is at
ftp://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/pub/mark/pan_build.script=20

It would appear from the messages that GNU gettext is required, but if
this is the case why is it not a dependency?

Output of ``uname -a'':

FreeBSD parish 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #1:
Sat Mar 18 18:53:40 GMT 2000
mark@parish:/usr/src/sys/compile/PARISH  i386

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

TIA

parish# make
=3D=3D=3D>  Extracting for pan-0.7.6
>> Checksum OK for pan-0.7.6.tar.bz2.

[snip]

checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for /usr/ucblib in LIBS... no
checking for GNU xgettext... configure: error:=20
*** GNU gettext is required. The latest version
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/.
configure: error: ./configure failed for popt
=3D=3D=3D>  Script "configure" failed: here are the contents of "config.log"
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:633: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:686: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:743: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:782: checking for working aclocal
configure:795: checking for working autoconf

[snip]

configure:2604: cc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:2600: sys/endian.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 2599 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <sys/endian.h>
configure:2594: checking for endian.h
configure:2604: cc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:2600: endian.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 2599 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <endian.h>

[snip]

configure:4470: checking alignment of CORBA_pointer
configure:4496: cc -o conftest -O -pipe  -I/usr/local/include/glib12  conft=
est.c -L/usr/local/lib -lglib12  1>&5
(end of "config.log")
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/ORBit.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/ORBit.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/ORBit.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/ORBit.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/ORBit.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomelibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomelibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomelibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomelibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomelibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomelibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomelibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/news/pan.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/news/pan.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/news/pan.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/news/pan.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/news/pan.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/news/pan.
parish# ^D=08=08exit

Script done on Sun Apr 23 01:45:22 2000

--=20
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX