Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 20:22:39 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'Studded'" <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PERL

> (1) The PERL that ships with 2.2.5R is perl4 or perl5?

	perl -v
[J.A. Terranson]  Perl4, as assumed...

> (2) Assuming (as I am) that 2.2.5R ships with p4, did I miss
> the p5 in the ports collection (I *did* look, and saw *lots* of
> additions, but nothing that screamed "Hi.  I am the P5 you were
> looking for.  Good to meetcha..."), or do I get it from somewhere
> else?

	/usr/ports/lang/per5 doesn't do anything for you? :)
[J.A. Terranson]  It would have if I had looked in languages: I looked
in the perl5 section.  Perhaps it should live there as well?  Symlinks
are nice...

> (3) After loading the various p5 packages, is there a "clean"
> way to compile a list of available functions, or must I peruse
> the code manually?

	There are usually man pages or other documentation included with the  modules.
[J.A. Terranson]  I know.  What I meant by "clean" was a way to determine
what these packages enabled *without* manually digging up each
manpage.  I guess I'm either off to nroff heaven (or maybe I'll break
down and by the Perl Resource Kit from O'Reilley)...

Thanks,
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org