Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:18:54 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        sporkl@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware woes - AMD K6/2-300 (?)

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9901201539570.306-100000@PigStuy.nws.net>, you wrote:

>I have used 2.2.8 on an AMD k6/2-300 system.
>Signal 11 is segmentation fault, so it would appear that this would be a
>memory problem. Is your motherboard's memory configuration compatible with
>the memory you are using?

Yes.  I have just learned however that there was a known problem with the
earlier (pre-C) steppings of the AMD-K6/2 which causes them to be unreliable
when used with more than 32MB of memory.  This has now been confirmed for
me by AMD.

My system has 64MB in it.

The processor that _I_ bought (as part of a complete system) apparently is
of the `A' stepping vintage - it has the bug.

Of course, the dealer I bought it from claims that hs has no AMD K6/2-300s
which are any later than stepping `A' and that his distributor also has none
of any later stepping... Translation?  I got screwed.

I have been burned by AMD again!

(I was previously burned when I bought an AMD 5x86-133 and learned after
the fact that due to the stupidity of its internal on-chip caching, it
was incompatible with any and all VL-bus SCSI controllers.)

I will not be buying any more AMD processors, ever.  I am tired of this
s**t!  It just ain't worth it.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/

    "Ping can be used offensively, and it's shipped with every windows CD"
                                                  -- Steve Atkins