Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 08:38:59 -0400
From:      Stephen Derdau <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Anthony Hoelzle <pentium@cio.net>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named problems

Maybe it has something to do with Version ?

What version of FreeBSD are you running Maybe it has something to do
with Bind  version of 8 instead of 4.  I guess now Bind uses named.conf
insted of named.boot and the format or something
is diffrent.
Do you get any error messages when kill -HUP <PID FOR NMAMED >

Just taking a guess here. I'm working on my named situation as well. Just
upgraded to 3.0

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday,  7 May 1999 at 12:40:04 -0700, Anthony Hoelzle wrote:
> > I am having problems with named, I can't seem to find any problems in
> > my /etc/hosts, host.conf, resolv.conf files. winblows can use the BSD
> > box as a dns server, (I can ping hostname from dos etc.) but "nslookup
> > hostname.domain.name" (being the server running named) gives me this
> > error:
> >
> > *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Timed out
> > *** Default servers are not available
> >
> > all ideas are welcomed
>
> I can't find any problems in your config files either.  You haven't
> shown them.
>
> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

http://www.FreeBSD.org                  http://www.fsf.org
FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE