Date:      Wed, 28 May 2003 16:49:47 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        'Dennis Pedersen' <mlists@daydreamer.dk>, Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Spontan reboot of FreeBSD 4,x box

well, I would speculate that your /etc/periodic is
running @ 3am doing things like looking for setuid files,
pruning /tmp, etc, which sparks up some disk activity, forks
a few processes, walks the filesystem, etc, which is tripping some=20
bug you have in the kernel, or bad memory. [i have a version
of memtest86 which can be loaded from 'loader' and placed on
a fbsd file system if you wish to try the bad memory theory
conveniently].

I have a similar problem in 4.7 that occurs once in a while
@ 3:01am which seems to randomly corrupt memory. I've been
chasing it for a while but is hasn't been reproducible enough
to find.

This is pure speculation.

man 8 periodic
see /etc/periodic.conf