Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:58:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DOH! Something PCI-related recently broken in -STABLE

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Yes. Compaq have this really crack-smoking idea about how the
> pcibios is supposed to work.  In a fit of brilliance, some rocket
> scientist decided they need filter out all the host->pci bridge
> entries.
>
> This hoses *all* the larger compaq DL and ML series, eg: DL360,
> DL380 etc.
>
> The DL320 appears fine though.  Current will not work either,
> unless you use ACPICA to get the correct PCI routing.
>
> We have argued with the compaq bios folks before.  Do you have a
> support contract by any chance?  I can give you explicit details
> if you wish.

We don't have a support contract that I'm aware of, no.  Should we get
one, it would be nice to know the details so I can explain to them in
no uncertain terms that this needs to be fixed.

While trying to fix this problem, I upgraded to the very latest 4.07A
BIOS for the ML530, which didn't fix the PCIBIOS problem, but did
cause FreeBSD to start locking up solid seconds after going
multi-user.  I'm now going to try stepping back several revisions of
BIOS until I find one that works, or go all the way back to the
December 1999 BIOS that I had on there before and I know worked.

Interestingly enough, the newer BIOSes and Configuration Utilities
added a "Linux" option to the OS types that can be chosen.  Doing so
doesn't fix the problem with FreeBSD, though.  I've even gone into the
hidden advanced configuration area and played with the MP Table
settings (even though this only has a single processor) and other
stuff, to no avail.

Other brands of servers are starting to look pretty good right now...

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet