Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:51:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com>
Cc:        gesperon@yahoo.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [gesperon@yahoo.com: Question]

> > I have a small network & i need a database server.
> > What database is recomended? & What database you use?

	It depends on how you will use it and how familiar you are with
different databases.  If you're comfortable with SQL, I'd suggest using
MySQL.  Its easy to install (su root -c "cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql322
; make install"), it is free for non-commercial use, is threaded for
multiple user access performance boosts, and a lot of web interface
programs use it either by default or as an option.

	I use MySQL on a K6-II with 128MB of RAM which also serves as an
email server, DHCP for 5 large ethernet LANs, DNS serving and resolving,
web serving, etc. and haven't noticed any problems with performance
dispight loading so many services onto the same computer.  I also use
MySQL as my database for Ministry of Truth and TWIG.  With these two
programs, I have web-based interfaces to computer and software inventory,
repair logs, To Do lists for all users, groupware calendaring, and more.
On a personal computer I run a WWWThreads bulliten board.  Its another web
interface program which uses MySQL as a database.

	So MySQL is working quite well for me.  But mostly because of
these other programs which were written to use it.  So look at what you
want to do with a database and see if MySQL can fill that need.  You might
also be interested in the mSQL and MySQL book from O'Riely and Assoc.
(www.ora.com)  Its good for someone who is familiar with database basics
but not mSQL or MySQL specifically.  It will even show how to write
programs which interface to those databases.  If you decide that you like
mSQL better, that program is also in the FreeBSD ports collection.

						Good luck,
						Jaime