Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:40:00 -0500
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        Vince Valenti <vince@blue-box.net>, Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        Vince Valenti <vince@bendcable.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "\"nate\"" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
Subject:   Re: sudden reboots

         Well in actuality I've got a number of machines running 4.5 and
without a flaw.  I've even got an old P120 running as a mail server, ftp
server, and web server all in one happy little package without a hitch or a
glitch.  I did notice that there was a couple of big flaws in the most
recent releases of sysinstall, but that's about it.  Usually if you're
hitting issues with your server rebooting at random, it's usually hardware
related.  Try swapping some stuff out till you get a stable running
machine.  I had a similar issue a while back with 4.3 on one of our mail
servers.  It ends up I had to swap out the ISA nic cards for PCI and it
played happily afterwords.

         For some reason Freebsd is pickier on it's hardware in some
places, and far more leanient in others.  Unlike windoze that will take
just about any piece of junk and run with it.  So this may turn out to be a
scavenger hunt to try to find the culprit piece of hardware, but once you
find it, things will smooth right out.  IF it turns out to be the MB, (aka
if nothing else works, then that's all that's left) then I'd try it as is
in another system.  If that still doesn't work, it may be a build
error.  I've had those before when upgrading.  The only remedy is to backup
the data, wipe the drive clean, do a clean install, restore the data.

         Just my two cents.  :)  But then again, if troubleshooting were
easy, we'd be out of a job.  :)