Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 1997 11:09:43 -0700
From:      Phil Humpherys <humphery@beagle.imall.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: timezone problem

Greg,

I tried exactly what you suggested below, and it didn't work.

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:48:40 +0100 (MET) Greg Lehey writes
+--------------------
| Phil Humpherys writes:
| >
| > I installed 2.2-BETA, and during the install, i set my timezone to be
| > MST.  But my system thinks that the system clock is GMT...  HOw do i
| > fix this?
|
| I'm guessing you're used to System V, where time zones are an idea in
| the mind of the environment.  In FreeBSD, they're determined by the
| contents of the file /etc/localtime.  To set up your local time zone,
| do:
|
| 1.  If "MST" is an abbreviation for "Mountain Standard Time", copy the
|     contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver to /etc/localtime.
|
| 2.  If "MST" is an abbreviation for "Middle European Summer Time",
|     copy the contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin to
|     /etc/localtime.
|
| /etc/localtime also takes care of daylight savings time transitions.
| No work required.
|
| Greg

-pH

Phil Humpherys                    Email:  ph@imall.com
Systems Administrator             http://ph.imall.com/
iMALL, Inc.                       Office:  +1.801.377.0899
                                   Pager:  +1.801.276.3494
"[Stairway to Heaven] is a nice, pleasant, well-meaning,
naive, little song. Very English. It's not the definitive
Led Zeppelin song. 'Kashmir' is."

Robert Plant - Rolling Stone - 24th. March 1988