Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2019 14:56:54 +0000
From:      B J <va6bmj@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange devfs Warnings

I have a laptop machine that's giving me some strange warnings about devfs.

When I installed the version of FreeBSD that runs on it, as well as
Xfce as the desktop, I edited /etc/devfs.rules with:

[localrules = 5]
add path 'da*' mode 0600 group operator

and added this to /etc/rc.conf:

devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"

(I started doing this several years ago with an earlier version of
FreeBSD with Gnome 2 as the desktop so that I could mount USB drives.)

I get the following while booting the machine:

/etc/rc.d/devfs: WARNING: devfs_init_rulesets: could not read rules
from /etc/defaults/devfs.rules
/etc/rc.d/devfs: WARNING: devfs_set_ruleset: you must specify a ruleset number
/etc/rc.d/devfs: WARNING: devfs_apply_ruleset: you must specify a ruleset

I'm not sure what's going on and what I should do to fix this.  The
reason I'm asking is that I want to set up that laptop machine to run
a scanner and a printer and I believe I have to edit /etc/devfs.rules
for that.

B. M. Jatzeck