Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:51:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   modem settings for FreeBSD

As everyone knows by now, I have disconnection problems with FreeBSD that
I don't have with Windows.

Does it make sense that maybe I need to somehow record the modem commands
that Windows sends to initialize?  COuld that be part of the problem?
Then i could include these in my initialization string.

I've tried both ISP's, and both kick me off at irregular intervals,
sometimes immediately after login.  (script based)

Setup: (to avoid the Ariel syndrome  ;-)
3.3 Stable
Toshiba laptop, PCMCIA modem
ISP uses script-based login on Ascend(t?) terminal servers
I have been told to disable X2 and even V90, but this seems to have no
effect.
The FAQ suggested disabling all compression... no change.
A 'log ascync' command shows one Read line that doesn't terminate with a
0x7E like the rest seem to.  This is the last data received before i get
'Carrier Lost' from ppp.

This is my biggest remaining peeve with FreeBSD.. i'd really like to iron
it out.

-jonathon