Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:28:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        jay@oneway.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .nfs files, what causes them and why do they hang around?

> > 	I have a fairly high-traffic NFS server running FreeBSD 2.2.6
> > using nfsv3 to all FreeBSD 2.2.6 clients. One of the things that I notice
> > on it is that there are hundreds of .nfsA3d7a4.4 files hanging around.  I
> > know that these are some type of nfs temporary files, and that they are
> > normally supposed to be removed, but I have some on there from August
> > 17th.  I have removed them without problem before, but I am curious as to
> > what is causing them, and wondering if it is related to another problem we
> > are having.
>
> They're files that have been unlinked but not closed on the client;
> because NFS is stateless they can't be unlinked on the server (there's
> no indication that the client has the file open, because there's no
> state...).
>
> You'll normally get these if the client goes down unexpectedly.

Note that if the server goes down *and* the client goes down, you
may be left with "stale" versions of these files, which you then
have to manually remove.

As a general rule, you should "find" files matching this name format
and older than twice the longest reasonable expected use of an unlinked
file by a client to delete them.  The others may still be in use.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.