Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:05:04 +0100
From:      Charlie Clark <charlie@begeistert.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org

Dear list,

I have a Sony PCG-GR114EK notebook and I'm trying to get FreeBSD to work on
it with varying degrees of success. I've tried 4.6, 4.7 and 5.0 and I'll
give the errors in that order.

FreeBSD 4.6.
This installs the best and I don't have any problems except when trying to
run XFree86 (Version 4.2.0). I get an error message: (EE) Nor drivers
available. I have a Radeon Mobility which should work as far as I know.
When I setup XFree86 I couldn't find any ATI drivers but I have read that
this is a known issue. I've tried using autoconfigure but the resulting
configuration causes the laptop to freeze and I haven't found anything
better than switching off the power in order to regain control :-/ I have
tried all various setup routines including trying to use VESA. I know that
VESA drivers work as the machine boots fine with VESA drivers for BeOS.

FreeBSD 4.7.
I can install 4.7 but I think I have the same XFree86 problems as with 4.6.
However, the biggest problem seems to be with "umass"
I get lots of "umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT" messages when I boot from
the install CD and subsequently after installing. From another post it
looks like umass has something to do with USB. Is there anything I can do
to disable this? I've also had problems with ATA similar to those noted in
5.0 below.

FreeBSD 5.0.
I was hoping the most recent version would have the best hardware support.
This may well be the case but I have a showstopper as I can't install from
the CD. Either the install hangs on the Cardbus detection "cbb1: <RFC5C476
PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 5.1 on pci2 or if I do get further I get into
setup, choose my options and sysinstall claims it can't find my CD/DVD.
Just before that happens I get the message in the console that ata1-slave
timeout waiting for interrupt, ata1-slave ATAPI can't identity failed - I
can't get the following messages as it switches into sysinstall too quickly.

Suggestions? Thanx for your help

Charlie Clark