Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:54:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>, bsddiy@163.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

:In message <20010611174717.A77956@laptop.6bone.nl> Mark Santcroos writes:
:: What is the difference between the present rc scheme and the NetBSD one?
:
:The NetBSD rc scheme, in a nutshell, put each thing into its own file
:and does order dependencies automatically.  Ours is one big monolithic
:beast that kinda can do extra things, but only if their order can be
:coerced into being right.
:
:Warner

    I kinda like our scheme... at least I like the single monolithic
    /etc/rc.conf file.  It makes maintaining and installing machines
    utterly trivial whereas having a billion little files each with
    one or two options in them makes maintaining and installing machines
    rather difficult.  I sure hope nobody is advocating doing away with
    the monolithic capabilities of /etc/rc.conf!

					-Matt