Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:44:06 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Martin Blapp <blapp@attic.ch>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
Subject:   Re: GNU-Tar should be updated

>   tar is an add-on, and is not the standard backup tool, dump/restore is.
> dump/restore have their own problems, but backing up /dev is not one of
> them.
>
>   Besides, some think that all GNU tars should be replaced with star which
> is much faster.  Plus star generates real posix archives.

What people probably aren't realizing (and this is actually a good
argument for honestly *looking* at code which you propose to replace
first :-) is that FreeBSD's current tar isn't a stock GNU tar, it's
GNU tar with features like --fast-read added (just to name one
extention off the top of my head).  If you were to just replace our
tar with a stock one, tools like pkg_add would suddenly refuse to
work. :-)

- Jordan